The quickest way to refresh and add new life to a room is by
changing out the pillows and accessories. When I am designing a room from the ground up, I have my workroom custom make pillows but if I have a job with a quick turn around I often am looking for ready made resources to fill the bill. Here are some of my favorite quick find pillow sources to add a designer “wow” factor to your room.
Things to think about when grouping pillows together:
1) Pay attention to scale – You will want to mix various sized pillows. Typically the largest pillow is 20″x 20″ with smaller pillows added such as 18″ x 18″ and 16″ x 16″
2) Pattern – Typically there is one dominate pattern with secondary patterns mixed in. Choose something really large and then something really small with a medium pattern in between.
3) Texture – Always add pillows with texture to create interest. Velvets, metallics, furs and embroideries can add so much to the overall affect.
4) Organic prints – often a pillow which is multi-colored with lots of color or movement is a good choice to act as an anchor to the design. It can be a pattern found in nature or something with flowing lines.
5) Geometric pattern – this pillow can act as a balance to the organic print. It could be grids, lines, or repetitive patterns such as stars or crosses.