Tips I have learned about Spear Mounted Awnings
1) Always use Sunbrella or outdoor canvas. Sunbrella
has a 10 year warranty while others like Outdura are only 5 years. Plus they have tons of colors.
2) Consider the projection when choosing the size awning you need. If over a doorway the door must be able to open so you must allow for the projection. Typically about 40″ projections is fine.
3) When using the spear type awning make sure you use substantial iron so the awning can withstand strong winds.
4) Awnings provide protection from sun damage and help with energy costs if installed on a south facing facade
5) The awning should be 8″ wider than the door on both sides
6) If the awning will be 43″ or smaller it needs to be 13 1/2″above door
7) If the awning will be 72″ or larger there it to be 16 1/2″ above door.
8) A valance around the edge or on the front of the awning is typically about 7″ long
9) Allow approx. 12″ drop from where the awning is mounted above the door.
Here is a helpful video about how to clean awnings from PYC Awnings